One line apart – Concluding post

Introduction

One Line Apart has been a really fun and meaningful project for me over this semester. I am fascinated by the presence of emotions over the third space, especially seeing the artworks “Holes in Space” and “Life 2.0” over the semester. I have been pondering about this question of how the emotions and intimacy is born out on the third space itself, or whether or not it can be faked or duplicated despite technological separation.

Concept review

I have never really imagined projecting a third space as a second space dimension, but yet a point of contact creates a new form of meaning and intimacy. A kiss, a hug, or even just by holding the same object across different space all provides a meaning and intimacy to the image. I believe this is a meaningful portrayal, especially for people who have long distance family ties friendship or relationship who have very few chances to interact with one another so closely. I use the third space as a form of expression of the people, they can now project themselves with a form of intimacy over the image, using their own actions and creativity.

...Like reading a book together
…Like reading a book together
...Or hushing me
…Or hushing me

The second part of the project also explores the blurring of identities.

DianaDoll

We have done the identity multiples micro project over the semester, where we put up photos of our body parts onto the flickr feed. However there is a lack of interaction and communication during the submission at that time, which I thought if present, will yield different and interesting results.

(Ahdong 1.mov)[00.32.00.196](Ahdong 1.mov)[00.28.12.50]

By using Adobe Connect and having participants streaming on webcam, we can negotiate and create compositions freely – we are able to think and develop the identities as we interact.

Role of the viewers and participants

There were spontaneous moments where I or the participants tried to create an illusion that is comedic and funny, like making funny faces when compositing or making funny movements with our limbs.

Funny NSFW-1

One interesting thing about this project are the spontaneous moments: even if you tried to make someone look silly on the webcam, they will simply laugh it off instead of getting offended. It became a way to actually get close to one another. This form of audience involvement defined and shaped the project outcome and I found this spontaneous possibility a very thrilling and fun aspect during the execution of the project – you never know what will happen!

Technical realization review:

Even though this project is almost similar to a photography project, I am glad that I have chosen a online tumblr site as a medium. I created a gallery that displays GIFs: This captures not only the creativity between the audience and me, but also the relationship and dynamics we developed during the project. It has also been reassuring to me that my participants enjoyed working with me on this project, even though it may have been just a brief 2 minutes.

hand-moving

Scratching

Diana’s Virtually Awkward project execution also provides a new possibility for my project as a performance art. It is interesting to observe reactions of viewers not only on the third space, but from the first space as well when the image is projected on the wall.

Personal thoughts

It was interesting to bend the third space to create a form of intimacy. However I feel that in the process of doing so, we also become intimate, it felt as if the connection is not simply only over the third space. I am amazed during the development for the concept,

The usage of third space also allows me to do certain actions that I will not be likely to do in real life (as I am not a person who likes excessive body contact), and yet I can now do it with my friends without feeling awkward or making them feel intruded. Similarly, the participants and viewers felt free to do actions that they normally do not do, particularly when their face is omitted from the composition.

Semxy-2

Semxy-3

It exudes a part of the personality that I felt that my project has captured and I am really intrigued and pleased with the results.

Conclusion

This possibility of intimacy over the third space is something I wish to explore in the future. Perhaps reinventing or looking for other methods of recreating the project, or selecting participants who truly experience long distance relationship so it provides additional meanings to the work.

I would also like to thank Randall Packer for the encouragement during the development for this work, (I was really stuck during the week where technical realization post is due) as well as my classmates who have helped me out for the project (especially Chin Fang and Diana who have composited with me several times). It was truly a fun experience for me, and i hope it has been fun and enjoyable for my participants too.

One line apart – Project update #4

Images grabbed from last week’s session.

We explored the possibilities of compositing different body parts aesthetically and interact accordingly.

weilong

grp 4
A little photoshop and alignment can create a closer and more organic image

grp 3
Compositing of our faces

Sharing a single smile

grp 1
Everyone will be involved in shaping the interaction. I aim to break off the wall over the third space and reconstruct one that brings people closer together, even if it may be a form of illusion

Project execution

Other than organizing one or two more web sessions, I will make a cameo appearance in Diana’s performance art piece on Friday (Thanks Diana! Looking forward to the collaboration! And it isn’t often that performance artists get to intercut their performances I suppose)

I will probably select certain pieces from the intimacy series to perform with Diana (if she’s ok with it, of course) Out of which I developed a french kissing idea.

Kiss
Yeah, we’re probably trying to french kiss one another over the third space. Talk about awkwardness

I feel a strong need to execute this piece because on one hand, it may be uncomfortable for me or Diana (but yet at the same time, we’re not kissing. We’re just going to stick our tongues out to air) But on another hand, I wonder if it’ll be a visually striking or disturbing piece to the audience. I’d look forward to the audience’s response on that day if this piece is ever done.

Lady and the tramp
Just another intimacy series where we will look as if we’re eating the same food, or in general, sharing a single moment

Other concepts that may be performed on Friday:

Creation of adam
May stage with Diana, if it is possible

Parodies of popular culture, such as movie posters:

Back to back
Back to back cliched pose

Work is under way! I hope for the best!

One line apart #3 – Project update

I’ve transformed an older unused tumblr blog to a new one for the project: http://onelineapart.tumblr.com/ Work is in progress to remove older content and update project photos and videos and gifs. (I’m still trying to get the GIFs to work)

Illustrations are under way to plan out certain composition or certain themes (or for fun) for the final performances. Here are some illustrations for my references

Reconstruction of Parodies of Famous Paintings. I think this doesn’t make too much sense
ahh this is a much better visualisation

I also like to fabricate or simulate a degree of intimacy in the third space photobooth, and would like to experiment with some acts of intimacy, such as a hug, or even a kiss

hug
Hug – Exploring degrees of intimacy and reconstructing them in different space

Mr elastic
Elasticman – Create extension of limbs and body parts that distorts a person’s physical look

Muscleman
Replacing body parts with that of another

However I would also like the viewers to discover what they want to do for the net booth and give them extra freedom to play around with it. The end results are no doubt important, but what is more important is the sense of bending the third space and having fun during the process of doing so.

Meanwhile, I am going to  host 2 more web sessions to grab more videos and images. This time round I will try with 3 to 4 people and see what will result from it. However I feel that compared to a session of 2 people, the session or 3 or more people will require more preplanning than improvisation, especially if they are strangers.

Project Update #2 – One line apart, Internet photobooth

The project developed as a result from a adobe liveconnect session recorded with Chinfang. Initially there were limitations in what I want to achieve, as I struggled between the aesthetics and the artistic intent.

session
Our brief chat session where we bombarded each others with reference photos

However through some trial and errors, we are able to identify certain elements that can be used to engage the people involved on the Adobe Connect. I decided that the identity multiples project as well as the concept of photobooth can be integrated, resulting in a third space photobooth where viewers can bend and twist interactions with each other: by replacing their cropped parts with each other’s.

One interesting thing for this medium is that a video can also be visually engaging and compelling.  Replacing each other’s omitted or cropped body parts can create visually interesting composition. However, doing actions with the replaced body parts can be interesting: It can create laughter, it can create a fake sense of intimacy. The person whose limb is replaced do not have absolute control over what the other person will do

(second time.avi)[00.02.29.718]

I can’t control what chinfang is doing, but yet she decided that it is interesting to juxtapose actions that contradict my image. 

I also noticed the possibility of having people do things without feeling embarrassment as they usually do. Identity is altered in a way, albeit light-hearted, but it provide new expressions for people in a fun manner.

It’s official! “One line apart” – Technical realisation

Concept review

After several consideration and exploration, I have decided to use Adobe Connect as the medium to execute my work. The concept remains roughly similar to what I have previously written, except that I have now combined the multiple selfies and identities multiple concept with a photobooth concept

Photobooth – What if it is over the third space?

This project explores the degree of intimacy the photo can achieve as two person try to emulate a degree of closeness even though they are in separate spaces. In a way, this is similar to telematic dreaming where viewers will interact with the artist and appears close, even though they are physically apart. Now let’s get to the…

Technical realisation

Part 1: Adobe Connect as a working platform

I. I will login using Randall’s userid for adobe connect, and then open an incognito window and login as a guest under my name. This is so that my name instead of Randall will display on the webcam image.

II. The webcam image has to be of the best quality, so I will require the viewer to toggle the quality to highest to reduce pixelization.

III. I will maximise the window, and with the the firefox add in, I will get a thorough full screen for adobe connect with 2 large webcam images.

IV. I will then direct the viewer to create photos where it seems like our body parts are invading each other’s space. The intention is to bend the space and make it seems as if both of them are in the same space interacting with one another. The whole process will be taken down by screen capture.

V. Lastly, I will watch through the video and select screenshots of some of the results. I will also make GIFs for certain poses that has a repetitive action.

Here are some attempts at it:

Nope nope, that's not my butt
Nope nope, that’s not my butt. And darnnn we forgot to switch on full screen. Courtesy from Chinfang’s screen capture
Craziness in close up
Craziness in close up
(second time.avi)[00.00.25.224]
Some tries at facial compositing

(second time.avi)[00.00.44.585]

(second time.avi)[00.02.29.718]
Illusion. illusion

(second time.avi)[00.03.31.618]

There were more attempts but I couldn’t salvage the screen capture videos due to corrupted files. But I understand the potential and the limitation behind this medium and it is indeed quite fun to do. However it will also takes quite a while in order for the composition to work.

Problems encountered: 

1. Echoing voices

Running 2 windows opened and logged in with adobe connect will cause a echoing voices as both windows transmit voices. This posed some difficulties for me as I am trying to direct the viewer and getting feedback from them. However, this is less of a concern when it comes to the results as the end results are images and gifs that has no sound. It can be fixed by logging in with 2 desktops, which I have not tried as I did not have 2 computers at home.

2. Corrupted, unusable AVI screen capture files.

Glitched up AVI files - The colors will be off, and the video will display in numerous different colors while scrolling
Glitched up AVI files – The colors will be off, and the video will display in numerous different colors while having the composition messed up

Screen capture attempts using CamStudio (freeware) posed yet another problem when it gives corrupted AVI files that cannot display properly. (It is said to be due to the file format, as AVI’s max size is supposed to be 2gb) I am on the process of working on it to retrieve it. But meanwhile, I need an alternative that can screen capture a long period of time (more than 3 minutes) without providing corrupted AVI files.

Part 2: Tumblr as a gallery: onelineapart.tumblr.com (Work in progress)

One line apart: That one line not only refers to the black line dividend between the viewers, but also the space differences that exists. 

Why tumblr?

I. User friendly layout that displays many images at one glance.

Tumblr will be used as a platform to display the results and I have several free themes to choose from.

II. Capability to display GIFs.

Gifs is a file type popularized by various pop cultures on Tumblr. I hope to identify interesting segments within the screen capture such that I can create interesting GIFs files.

III. Reblogging function

Tumblr is also a platform where we can get our work reblogged, and hopefully it can reach out to other tumblr users well

What is left to do is to create more images and gifs, and then uploading them to the tumblr. I will also need more participants or try out more than two webcam image windows to see what other interesting results will appear

Intercepting portraits – Influences

There are several readings that I have referred to as influences for my project.

1. Hole in space, Sherrie Rabinowtiz and Kit Galloway

5_HoleInSpace-300x216
Hole in Space

“They could now see, hear, and speak with each other as if encountering each other on the same sidewalk. No signs, sponsor logos, or credits were posted—no explanation at all was offered. No self-view video monitors to distract from the phenomena of this life–size encounter.”

One thing that struck me for this performance is the fact that it has very little direction from the artist or creators of the installation. I think by not limiting or instructing the audience, viewers can be more open to experimentation or exploration, leading to their own interpretation of the work. I hope my end result is also an installation or experience where the viewers decide how they want it to be, rather than be told how to participate in the video.

Also, the scale of life sized images also added to the impact of the installation. It is also something that can be considered as a possibility for my work, even though it is not likely with the limitation of equipment in school.

2. Telematic dreaming, Paul Sernon

“When you “touch” another individual in the third space, why do you feel a connection as though you were physically present? Why is there a sense of intimacy in the third space, even though you are remote from the other person(s). Telematic Dreaming asks these questions while looking forward to how we are increasingly engaging with one another and forming relationships in the third space. ” – From hyperlecture

This work makes me think about possibilities for more intimacy between people who are connected in the third space. I feel that people do crave connections, but actions of intimacy such as a hug is not common in real life, especially for Singapore which is an asian country. Therefore if it is possible, I also wish to explore the notion of feeling the sense of intimacy or formation of relationship in the third space.

3. Shared Still life, Annie Abrahams

“This work explores the idea of the “telematic embrace,” a concept discussed by theorist Roy Ascott in terms of qualities of engagement in networked space. Here, cyberperformance artist Annie Abrahams explores the integration of two physical spaces as sets for a “still life,” in this case: a third space still life since the integration of these elements is only possible in this hybrid electronic space. As the performers combine their telematically connected bodies in the third space, they attempt to reach through the digital divide, to explore a kind of extended human presence across the network.”

I am intrigued by the digital divide that separates the two world, yet happenings in both screens combines together to become a single narrative. The divide made a distinct separation and make the viewers notice the difference between the 2 spaces even though they are on one single screen. If each divided screen represents a narrative, then combining 2 divided screen  would mean a new narrative. I also like the idea that there is an extended human presence across the network.

Also, there are important factors and points that are listed along with the project on the hyperlecture that I must to take into consideration with my project  as it involves web cam and a third space. They are as followed:

• They are connected, using a webcam, to a shared interface where they can see images and hear the sounds from all the other performers and themselves.
  • This interface has the form of a grid.
  • They share image boundaries and can interact spatially with the other performers.
  • The sound the performer hears is a mix of all the sounds from the other performers.
  • Because of network delays the way the interface has been constructed, no two performers receive the same images and sound at the same time.
  • To avoid delay – difficulties while speaking, performers cannot hear their own voices, and cannot judge their participation in the total sound environment.
  • The performers must wear a headset to avoid feedback.

Consideration of these factors will allow me to better plan the project and execute it, since I am not aware of its limitation and possibilities. The possibility to see sounds and images from all other performers, even though delayed, may provide an interesting experience or even allow a new meaning to be born. Also, I have to take note that performers are not able to judge their participation in the total sound environment and thus I should work even more to reduce the inclusion of sound as a control for my project.

4. Trapped to reveal, Essay, Annie Abrahams

Her essay provided a substantial amount of research of what other artists have experimented with the web cam.

“Did nobody understand that collaboration using machines wasn’t easier, maybe not more difficult either, but simply different from ordinary face to face communication?” – Annie Abrahams 

Taken from the writeup was also a quote from Brad Troemel’s in his work Why You Should Make Yourself Someone Else Online: “It argues along the same lines, “The process of image management on Facebook is already less an outpouring of expression than it is an exercise in omission of information about one’s self”.

Therefore by this statement, it is an interesting concept to explore. Images are uploaded and edited on facebook has become something that is not reflecting our life, but in fact something that tries to omit details from our life. We always present the best from ourselves (or for some, they’re always sad), but there are things that they do not notice themselves. For this project, if I were to let viewers decide which part of their face or body do they want to present, what would they choose to show or omit?

5. Huis Clos / No Exit – Tout va Bien, Annie Abrahams

“In one way or another, all digital artworks and environments are concerned with possible relationships between the physical space and the virtual, and what distinguishes them are the balance between these two realms and the methods deployed to translate one space into the other. Some artworks try to translate qualities of the virtual world into the physical environment, others strive to map the physical into the virtual; and yet others are aimed at fusing the two spaces.” – Christiane Paul

Likewise, I think this work becomes interesting as a result of compositing different spaces into one. There is not only one vision that propels the narratives. What if the conflicts of different spaces become the focus of the whole space itself?

Other influences:

These are other artworks whose aesthetics and concept inspires me in the project.

6. “Me and my friends”, “Time”, John Clang,

Me and my friends, John Clang
“Me and my friend”, a composite of several people to shape a new identity

I think this work is interesting, because the composite creates a new identity, yet it diminishes each of the individual’s true appearance. To some extent, it omits their details, while we are only left to admire the result that is created by compositing them in a single space.

Time, John Clang
“Time”, a composite of the same street taken at different timings

Similarly, the use of third space also allows the bending of time to bring about connections between one another. As webcam is prone to lag and delay, it is also a possibility that different results can be achieved because of that same fault.

7. “AIDS DIALOGUE”, Drew Ludwig

"Aids dialogue", portraits of models who support the Telluride AIDS Benefit group are cut out and sticked onto the artist's face
“Aids dialogue”, portraits of models who support the Telluride AIDS Benefit group are cut out and sticked onto the artist’s face

“Aids dialogue” presents a face that is presented by compositing numerous faces over the body. The end result is a psychedelic look-alike aesthetics that allows viewers to examine it in closer details.

8. Nicolas Desmet, L’Oeil de Links: Digital Compositing

ODL_00000

odl_04

These are digital compositing works for a TV show that I thought was intriguing with the concept of bringing the digital space along with you into real life. Are they the same identities, or are they separated identities that will have consequences once we merged them together?

As the project is still in its preliminary stage of planning, there are lots of information and influences that I am still looking into. I also understand that there is still a need to single out a single theme I wish to explore. Similarly, I also have to look at the software that is available as well as my IT capability so I can draft up a final project that is most suitably possible to execute.

Remixthebook

Remixthebook by Mark Amerika involves 25 international artists who manipulates the source materials that Mark Amerika have provided them. The end results are varying media arts that is each an unique interpretation by each different artist.

Mark Amerika stated 2 aims for his projects:

1. To create a collaborative and cross-disciplinary approach to the way contemporary theory is performed.

2.  To anticipate future forms of art and writing that challenge traditional modes of scholarly production, while taking on philosophical issues of our time

Mark Amerika provided excerpts of his writings and research on his website, which has now become a open content platform. (The content are great by the way, even though I have not have the time to finish it) I suppose people can now use the source materials for their own practice based research into remix art and culture.  It is compelling that he tries to encourage new ways of writing which challenges the current writing, and I think this has yielded very interesting results. Relating to remix art, I think the works produced for this project will, just like traditional academic papers, become invaluable references for the contemporary art students in the future. To me, it’s an exciting thought to see the potential of new media writing as a form that is comparable to academic paper writing.

I have briefly seen through most of the remixes, including the 3 highlights stated on the hyperlecture. It was a tough choice deciding which is my favourite out of the 3 highlights, or out of the 25 works. Yoshi Sodeoka’s “An Artist Yapping About Some Art Stuff X4” presents a video with hypnotic and repetitive movements from Mark Amerika that is aesthetically pleasing. Yoshi Sodeoka deconstructs the sounds and focus on remixing the image into an attention grabbing video. The end result is a video where we barely can hear anything clearly, a new state of writing that is a critique of Mark Amerika’s video: that it is simply too much to take for an artist with a short attention span like him.

Next, I am quite delighted to see Will Leurs’s “A Pixel and Glitch Hotel Room”. This is because I have tried to experiment with a video using a similar theme before, even though I did not succeed as I find it really hard to make it aesthetically pleasing or interesting. It was thus interesting for me to notice how other artists have executed it successfully. In this video, Will Leurs uses the nature of pixel and glitch aesthetics placed in randomly generated grids to create a moving image. The product is a video with a randomly generated grid that generates footages as random until a concept, pattern or design finds its form. There are so many possibilities within an moving image with randomly generated grid where an interesting visual can be produced. Combined with sound, particularly the voice from the lecture by Mark Amerika regarding artists developing a sense of visual, the work itself seems to have developed a meaning for the viewer. I find pixels and glitch in this case, have become a texture or some sort, lending its aesthetics to the work and connects it together. By zooming in to details and turning them into texture, as well as implementing or superimposing sounds, I see the room for improvement I could have made for my video way back in my first year.

Lastly,  Craig Saper’s  “Remix Machine, Paik in Amerika” was a work that I thought was not as interesting compared to the other two. However, it turns out to be a work that I felt was the most insightful. In Saper’s work, he uses scratching, a sound made by movement of a vinyl record back and forth on  a turntable while adjusting the DJ’s mixer, to modify the voice of Mark Amerika’s lecture.  With this, he wish to examine or compare the process of DJ scratching to how people actually can read a text. While he mentioned that some people feel that scratching is something that distorts music, he sees another potential and feels that it is crucial to ‘scratch’ in order to read or uncover more meaning. During scratching, it is possible to emphasize certain musical parts, or transform something differently by playing it backwards. It will be interesting  to translate this from music to writing.  He wonders what will happen if people learn by ‘scratching’ instead of learning how to read the ‘natural way’. I agree to some extent because I think the process of scratching makes a person deconstructs a music by rendering it, sometimes, beyond recognition. However, the person, in the meanwhile, can construct a new piece of his own. This is an interesting notion that provides new possibilities in writing. Even if scratching is not a viable option for writing, I believe there is a certain message or symbolism that Caper wants to bring out in his work that have made use of the medium.

To read wat else Craig  Saper has done, please read his Saper’s write up where he explained more about his work, as well as a visual form of his work (also available as an audio link).

In this project, instead of getting artists to conform and contribute to research using research writing, Mark Amerika made use  of collaborations with artists to see how different artists applied and integrated their theories to their works. Therefore, instead of numerous reports that looks the same as they follows an academic paper format, the results are different projects where artists have applied different methodologies and achieved different results. This, I think is the most interesting element out of Mark Amerika’s project.

Intercepting portrait

1. Introduction: summary paragraph that overviews the project
  2. describes its concept generally, emphasizing how it engages the Internet and/or net culture.
  3. The introduction should be concise, engaging, and clearly describe what the project is about and its artistic objectives.
  4. Include media in the form of video, sound, image that helps illustrate the project.

——

Taking selfie is the norm of this era, how about taking a selfie as multiple people?

In this project, I aim to create a portrait that is the end result of different viewers merging a part of their face with one another.

I’m exploring possibilities to see if it is possible to do this project online with a webcam. I’m also exploring the possibilites of not doing it live but use users submitted self taken photos on instagram and facebook for the project.

My objective or statement is to tear down individuality among users on internet to create a collective body. Also, interactivity is involved as the viewers play a role in completing a face.

What are the implications of multiple selves?

How do we reconstruct identity when we are a multiple person?

Does this tie in with the notion of distributed presence?

When you work on part II, influences, you might want to address these kinds of questions based on the lectures and discussion, and the references to experts in the field, readings, etc., found in the lectures.

Also, do any of the artworks we have looked at help you think about the concept of this piece.

Through rose tinted glasses, or not.

In this project I juxtapose a suicidal man’s thought with the cheerful sounds of the children as they play.  Transiting into the suicidal man’s point of view, I tried to think how my constructed identity would respond to the sounds that we hear everyday.

I simply like to create contrasting soundscape, and this project prompted me to think about newer possibilites or contradicting sounds that usually do not exist at the same time, but can give birth to new meaning.

Network-wide options by YD - Freelance Wordpress Developer