Screen-Shot-2014-02-24-at-11.25.34_Lo-Res-Web

Screenshot Experiments

Just completed a bunch of quick image quality degradation ¬†experiments using various techniques following last week’s consultation with Randall – some working much better than others.

Results as follows:

#1 – Window screenshots

Didn’t quite give me the image degradation but produced an interesting ¬†stacking effect nevertheless.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-24-at-11.35.45_Lo-Res-Web

#2 – Manual screenshots

I tried the same idea again but this time using manual screenshots (not screen grabbing the entire window). Almost negligible difference in image quality.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-24-at-11.36.36_Lo-Res-Web

#3 – Save For Web at ‘Low’ settings

This method gave me very similar results to method #3. There was some loss of image quality when observed unclose but it was not at a level I was hoping to produce. Could possibly work if I saved it numerous times over (100-200 times perhaps?)

Screen-Shot-2014-02-24-at-11.37.57_Lo-Res-Web

#4 – Resizing

This method produced the most dramatic of results. I resized the image to a small pixel dimension of 49px and enlarged it subsequently to 1965px. Mostly my preferred method amongst the four attempted. I can control the rate of the degradation by altering the range I reduce and enlarge the image.

3 thoughts on “Screenshot Experiments”

1. Pingback: Project Review
  2. There seems to be something disorienting and transformative about these degradation experiments. Indeed the resizing exercise seems most interesting, exposing the quirks of the approximation patterns that the image processing software uses.

I’m not sure about the direction this is going though. It feels quite technical, maybe like the user submitted sketches at OpenProcessing.

Some of the artists that you’ve previously cited, found ways to highlight the inherent workings of the digital format, such as Thomas Ruff, who’s low-resolution archive of JPEG images are printed out on to a huge scale. This changes the way which we normally view these images (on screen). It seems like there is a need for artists to deconstruct the current formats in order to better understand it.