Research Dialogue

Recent Posts

jonCates BOLD3RRR...image and sound bl3nd3RRR...and then some

Profile photo of Hoong Wei Long
Hoong Wei Long | Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 - 02:32:51 pm
(screenshot of jonCates as he performed BOLD3RRR live) jonCates's BOLD3RRR project was performed (and recorded) live via Skype for MediaLive 2012 at Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art, July 14 2012. The almost 24 minute long performance mashes sound and images in what is sometimes an incomprehensible mix of sensory triggers. A semiotics overload as it were. Watch the performance here: Sonically, jonCates adopts what Read more →
High-brow, Low-brow -- Dara Birnhaum: Technology/Transformation: Wonder Woman

Profile photo of Diana Toh
Diana Toh | Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 - 12:21:18 pm
Technology/Transformation: Wonder Woman, by Dara Birnhaum (1977-78) Video art challenges conventional ways of TV broadcast which is in a linear and structured manner. Similary, Dara Birnbaum's mashedup was stitched in the dynamics of a 3-act-structure, despite relentless gifs of her power performances. Perhaps it was through tinted lens do I see it as the amplification of atrocities and justified troll. It appears satirical Read more →
Unexpecteןqɐʇsdظ ʎq ʇɹɐ ǝuBBBreaks

Unexpecteןqɐʇsdظ ʎq ʇɹɐ ǝuBBBreaks

Profile photo of Lim Wei Siong
Lim Wei Siong | Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 - 06:33:06 am
Jon Ctes (Goto  is @ new medi rtist that cretes works by trnsforming imges , video, noise, text & publishing, etc, working in various physicl or digitl mediums. Smpling/rchival, Remixxxing<->Reinterprettion, Glitching()---# Provoction, Investigting&mp;PPPerforming. Using different types of medium, trnslting, down smpling, forced feedbck - ltering the vilble mterils to perverse forms 'that can help to decentralize, distribute && multiply these messages'. Jon views the 'openness Read more →
Jodi.org

Jodi.org

Profile photo of nasir
nasir | Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 - 03:01:17 am
"Ugly commercial sons of bitches." Jodi 5-word acceptance speech (a Webby Award tradition) to criticize the event Jodi.org is an art collective by Joan Heemskerk and Dirk Paesmans. It involves software art and artistic computer games modification of old games like Wolfenstein 3D, Max Payne 2 and many others. they disemble the structure of the coding that makes the game and reconstruct Read more →
Feb 18, 2014 - 10:08:23 am
[…] For more thoughts about jodi.org, check out Nasir’s musings. […]
Global Groove, Nam June Paik (1973)

Global Groove, Nam June Paik (1973)

Profile photo of Ashley Lai
Ashley Lai | Monday, Feb 17, 2014 - 09:20:53 am
"This is a glimpse of the video landscape of tomorrow, when you will be able to switch to any TV station on the earth, and TV Guide will be as fat as the Manhattan telephone book." Global Groove was a collaborative piece by Nam June Paik and John Godfrey. Paik, amongst other artists who shared the same vision in the 1960s, Read more →
Remixthebook

Remixthebook

Profile photo of Yeo Jing Xiang
Yeo Jing Xiang | Monday, Feb 17, 2014 - 03:39:51 am
Remixthebook by Mark Amerika involves 25 international artists who manipulates the source materials that Mark Amerika have provided them. The end results are varying media arts that is each an unique interpretation by each different artist. Mark Amerika stated 2 aims for his projects: 1. To create a collaborative and cross-disciplinary approach to the way contemporary theory is performed. 2.  To anticipate future Read more →
Media Transformations: Remix the Book

Media Transformations: Remix the Book

Profile photo of Wang Min
Wang Min | Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 - 02:58:40 am
"We need to explore the mashup as a defining cultural activity in the digital age." —remixthebook trailer remixthebook is a publication by Mark Amerika that expands the concept of scholarly writing and publishing to include multimedia art forms composed for networked and mobile media environments, while remixthebook.com website is the online hub for the digital remixes of many of the theories generated in the Read more →
Saying Hi To Your Other Self in Second Life

Profile photo of Hoong Wei Long
Hoong Wei Long | Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 - 07:51:59 pm
In 2010, some seven years after the virtual world Second Life (SL) was launched, director Jason Spingarn-Koff set off into this wild digital world and made the documentary Life 2.0 - charting the lives of people who participation in SL radically changed their real life circumstances. In one of these instances, a man (herein referred to as 'John'; his real name was Read more →
Life, 2.0

Life, 2.0

Profile photo of Cheong En Liang
Cheong En Liang | Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 - 03:03:08 pm
Life 2.0 is a documentary released in 2010, it follows three different relationships between real people and their second life avatars. Each of their simulated relationships results in a real world moral dilemma. Who is Ayya Aabye?    The masked programmer who begins the film in shadow has the most psychologically complex plot-line that reveals the psychological complexities of Second Life on how it can Read more →
Feb 11, 2014 - 07:50:06 pm
[…] To read more about the issue of dissociative identity in relation to this, check out Interactive Media, Death and Taxes. […]
Life 2.0: Asri Falcone 2.0

Life 2.0: Asri Falcone 2.0

Profile photo of Diana Toh
Diana Toh | Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 - 11:59:29 am
About Life 2.0 is a feature-length documentary recounts the lives of individuals and how their engagement in the third space alters their lives in real time for the better or worse. Real and Second Life Asri Falcone asserts that her avatar is not of a separate entity but her very self. In the film sequence, filmmaker Jason Spingarn-Koff consciously decides upon the juxtaposition Read more →
Avartar: Amie Goode

Avartar: Amie Goode

Profile photo of Tan Chinfang
Tan Chinfang | Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 - 11:30:29 am
Tired of the harsh realities slapping you again and again, seeking for acknowledgements, finding hard to communicate face to face... and the virtual game world provides exactly what that filled all your emptiness. You could be a plain Jane but in there, you are a hot star popular and eye catching. You could wish to be a kid that never Read more →
Jul 02, 2014 - 06:58:48 pm
I must tell you that it's hard to find your posts in google, i found this one on 22 spot, you should build some quality backlinks in order to rank your webiste, i know how to help you, just type in google - k2 seo tips and tricks
Jul 31, 2014 - 10:23:28 pm
Igot this web page from my pal who informed me concerning this site and at the moment this time I am browsing this site and reading very informative articles aat thiis place. Take a look at my homepage ... best franchise
Sep 16, 2014 - 11:07:38 pm
Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful site. Feel free to surf to my web blog :: Brave Frontier Hack Tool Download (youtube.com)
Sep 19, 2014 - 11:44:33 pm
Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently! Here is my web page How to get brave frontier free gems (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B3lqdmf6A8)
The Virtual Identity in Second Life: "You vent, You release, You repeat"

Profile photo of Prakash Haridas
Prakash Haridas | Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 - 04:42:32 am
Source: www.impawards.com "Life 2.0" sheds light on a group of individuals who closely identify themselves with their virtual avatars. While Second Life might seem like any ordinary social game on the surface, it ends up meaning so much more for these everyday people. The action-reaction relationship works both ways, where their actions in the virtual world could at times result in reactive effects Read more →
Feb 11, 2014 - 02:02:00 pm
[…] here to read more about how people get addicted to their online […]
Feb 11, 2014 - 03:20:34 pm
[…] To read more about how virtual identity as being used as a form of a emotional/psychological release outlet. Check out Scribbles of a Mind in Stasis […]
No Image

life2pointo

Profile photo of Lim Wei Siong
Lim Wei Siong | Monday, Feb 10, 2014 - 06:57:03 pm
Amie Goode is a Second Life user, whom after a period of time spent online, met the man of her dreams and left her husband and child to be with him. “My life was pretty good. 2-3 vacations per year, and the house, the kid, the dog, the husband, but I was certainly feeling unfulfilled, looking for something more…”The segment in Life Read more →
The Goode Life

The Goode Life

Profile photo of Ashley Lai
Ashley Lai | Monday, Feb 10, 2014 - 04:07:21 pm
Name: Amie Goode First Life: Housewife Location: New York “My life was pretty good. 2-3 vacations per year, and the house, the kid, the dog, the husband, but I was certainly feeling unfulfilled, looking for something more…” The documentary Life 2.0 zooms in on the life of Amie Goode, a New York housewife who has been married for 11 years with a daughter. She meets Bluntly Berblinge, who is Read more →
Life 2.0-Bluntly Berblinger

Life 2.0-Bluntly Berblinger

Profile photo of nasir
nasir | Monday, Feb 10, 2014 - 03:13:20 pm
An alternate life-that's what Second life is all about. It is interesting how the virtual world could replicate life through an online platform where participants could recreate their dream job, spouse,house etc without any expensive cost and minus the hassle of real life. It feels like an opportunity for participants to rediscover their alter-ego and just be themselves without being judged Read more →

Comments

Add a comment

You must be logged in to comment.

1. Group Project Critique I03-17-14
  2. Group Project Critique II03-24-14