Projects

Projects

Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Profile photo of Diana Toh
Diana Toh | Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 - 01:28:12 am
Reflections 1. Gratitude I am grateful of everyone from OSS and whom have been part of this experience, and Randall having such a strong standing from from conception to execution. A project that is so open-sourced, having input from everyone, culminates great spirit. Everyone helps each other to grow. It is a journey, seriously, for me, and almost transformative to have me Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 16, 2014 - 01:43:41 am
You have masterfully distilled the nature of your project in the following statement: "I have been made as a sculptural form of what is it to be a digital native." I think you are successfully learning to integrate your philosophically astute observations with your work. When ideas are untethered from practice the results can be hit and miss. But when your observations are designed to **serve** the work, or perhaps the other way around, then you have an idealized marriage between practice and theory, something we have been talking about this semester. You have established the beginning of work focused on sculpture, using performance and networked media as the medium. I am very excited to see where you go from here.
Project Hyperessay - Conclusion

Project Hyperessay - Conclusion

Profile photo of Hoong Wei Long
Hoong Wei Long | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 07:11:37 pm
One of the key ideas that was discussed as part of the Media and Performance class is the private vs. the public. 1/200th Of A Second draws from that discussion because of its transgressive methodology that recalls that of the paparazzi photographer. This is further implicated by the fact that the Net has greatly reduced the time between an image is made and Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 16, 2014 - 09:28:39 am
Your project very successfully explores the way in which media can be inserted into the individual's private space, and how the individual reacts/responds to that invasive action. It would be interesting to explore a more detailed analysis photo by photo, which I will do when I look at the results of the project more carefully. In the meantime, this is a good general observation of the phenomenon of the paparazzi and how their actions simply amplify all of us who wield cameras.
Virtual Text - Conclusion

Virtual Text - Conclusion

Profile photo of Tan Chinfang
Tan Chinfang | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 06:36:40 pm
I have really come a long way in exposing myself to the online chat world. let's record some of the events that happened. it all comes off with an idea of misinterpretation of words through messaging and also the power of quotes. Then I came around looking at some artworks that involves virtual texts, eg. megaphone, which sparks me off with the Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 06:52:23 pm
Your conclusion is so interesting. It occurs to me that the speed and velocity of these chance encounters is really not at all conducive to meaningful conversation, let alone intimacy. It seems rather "hit and run," in which people for a fleeting instant check each other out and then move on to the next encounter. From your interactions, as seems as though no one really has time for understanding the other person, or even getting to know them, rather, it is the brief moment of the encounter that stimulates one's interest, and then on to the next person. The question is: what does this say about our everyday online interactions? Do we treat even our friends with the same degree of impatience? Are we moving to quickly to have meaningful conversation with the people who are closest to us? This may be the hazardous aspect of online communication, the inability to slow down and really get to know people. This is a highly probing work you have created.
Project Conclusion: The Subzone

Project Conclusion: The Subzone

Profile photo of Prakash Haridas
Prakash Haridas | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 05:16:36 pm
The deeper one continues to prod at a tear in space, that tear will continue to grow. The same can be said about documenting and constructing the Subzone. What initially started as a way to glitch the virtual environment by playing with viewer perceptions turned into something huge on it's own. The Subzone now stands as a virtual landfill, which Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 07:02:19 pm
I don't know whether to respond to your conclusion as an apocalyptic view of the third space, or a hopeful reawakening that once the blindfolds are removed from our eyes, we can see technology for what it really is. "A black hole of virtual nothingness," is perhaps the matrix, that simulacrum that lies behind reality, or as in the The Game, in which reality itself is deconstructed and turned inside out. The Subzone seems to represent the trappings of the other side of the digital divide, where reality is suspect and our senses are fooled. I looked forward to your presentation this evening and the opportunity to enter the black hole to have the experience firsthand. I hope we all don't become disenchanted, or perhaps we should!
ULTRA-ESSAY

ULTRA-ESSAY

Profile photo of Cheong En Liang
Cheong En Liang | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 05:11:47 pm
The Universal Solvent “The piece aims to instigate reciprocation and exchange between individuals that emulates the evolution and changes in our social norms due to hyperconnectivity that has inevitably arose from the increase in one to many and its subsequent many to many networks. It can be seen as an interpretation of how we communicate with one another as of today Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 06:42:46 pm
This conclusion to your project is quite a tour de force. I am going to spend more time with it when I return to Washington, but you have certainly mastered the art of blogging and documentation. I hope this document might be of value for your FYP, you certainly have done quite a bit of work leading to your thesis. Congrats and there will be more comments to come. I look forward to seeing the project in person this evening!
Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Profile photo of Wang Min
Wang Min | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 03:39:24 pm
Conclusion: synthesizing the elements of your project, how does the project bridge your artistic practice with OSS concepts and ideas? What were some of the key ideas about net-based artistic work that were new to your experience of working with new media? What issues were exposed through your project that allowed you to critically examine them? And finally, how did your Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 04:08:54 pm
Excellent summary of your project and great to see how you gradually evolved into using the network as a medium for your artistic practice. You are correct in your assessment that the role and interaction of the viewer is the hardest to predict, and the most difficult to control. This comes with experience, the ability to shape your work in such a way that the viewer responds in ways that are interesting and provocative. But your evaluation is exactly right: most often the user interaction can't be predicted. As a result, it is best to be open and flexible and to learn from the user response. That is what makes interactive art so interesting!
#5 Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

#5 Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Profile photo of nasir
nasir | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 10:41:05 am
FINALLY THE PROJECT IS UP AND RUNNING ON TUMBLR AT  ! DO CONTINUE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES! EXPERIENCE (WIKIPEDIA): A "psychedelic experience" is an altered state of awareness induced by the consumption of certain psychotropics, holotropic breathwork, meditation, or sensory deprivation. Using a song inspired by the psychedelic experience, will audience too be experiencing what the song writer felt while being induced by such "psychedelic consumption?" That's where the project Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 16, 2014 - 01:52:56 am
I think what is most compelling about the project and your description is how you have framed experience, and more specifically psychedelic experience. How do we react to media? How does it transform and reshape our experience? And how does it alter who we think we are? These are some interesting questions that come to mind in regards to your work. I still think the investigation of the psychedelic, and how media/technology can induce that experience is one of the most important aspects of your research.
One line apart - Concluding post

One line apart - Concluding post

Profile photo of Yeo Jing Xiang
Yeo Jing Xiang | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 08:06:46 am
Introduction One Line Apart has been a really fun and meaningful project for me over this semester. I am fascinated by the presence of emotions over the third space, especially seeing the artworks "Holes in Space" and "Life 2.0" over the semester. I have been pondering about this question of how the emotions and intimacy is born out on the third Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 08:22:29 am
As I have mentioned before, your project explores in wonderful ways the notion of intimacy in the third space. I am delighted to see the clever, creative actions you have invented to test this hypothesis. Your statement regarding the lack of inhibition is so true: we do in fact let down our defenses in the third space because we somehow feel protected or safe because of distance. What might be silly in the first space becomes creative play in the third. Congratulations on the excellent work you have done and your ability to find such playful, inventive ways to conduct your research.
Conclusion

Conclusion

Profile photo of Ashley Lai
Ashley Lai | Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 - 05:10:24 am
There are several ways that my project bridges my theatrical practice with concepts and ideas that we've covered this semester. My project centralizes around using the internet as a medium and stage for live performance. This closely connects to our studies of JenniCam, a prime example of improvised endurance theatre and a pioneer in the creation of reality television, as Read more →
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 08:36:45 am
What an interesting and revealing testimonial regarding your project and the process you embarked on. You ask an excellent question: why are we able to let down our defenses in the third space, revealing intimate moments, when it is so difficult to do so in the real world. I believe that distance creates safety: that through geographical separation, mediated by technology, we are more comfortable revealing aspects of our lives and our thoughts. I was particularly struck by your realization that you had found the ideal narrative that absolutely required the Internet: the long distance relationship. You were able to draw from real life (as a digital native) and find the compelling narrative structure to translate into your project. It is so satisfying when such a complex, yet simple solution is found and it works so well.
One line apart - Project update #4

One line apart - Project update #4

Profile photo of Yeo Jing Xiang
Yeo Jing Xiang | Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 - 12:56:17 pm
Images grabbed from last week's session. We explored the possibilities of compositing different body parts aesthetically and interact accordingly. A little photoshop and alignment can create a closer and more organic image   Compositing of our faces       Everyone will be involved in shaping the interaction. I aim to break off the wall over the third space and reconstruct one that brings Read more →
Profile photo of Diana Toh
Apr 09, 2014 - 06:31:18 pm
Yes! My heart skipped a beat-- looking forward to get intimate with you <3 https://meet47208930.adobeconnect.com/virtually-awkward/
No Image

poly-cont

Profile photo of Lim Wei Siong
Lim Wei Siong | Friday, Apr 04, 2014 - 01:28:00 pm
Joining of two 'heads' together, using the Ragespline package by Freakow. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   Attempt at creating a multi-user environment, using the Photon Unity Network package. Able to instantiate objects for players to control individually, but there were problems syncing their movements. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Files
Profile photo of Randall Packer
Apr 15, 2014 - 04:00:27 pm
Interesting animation showing the multi-headed animation at work. I look forward to seeing how you can resolve the issues with the multi-player interaction.
One line apart #3 - Project update

One line apart #3 - Project update

Profile photo of Yeo Jing Xiang
Yeo Jing Xiang | Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 - 02:44:54 pm
I've transformed an older unused tumblr blog to a new one for the project: Work is in progress to remove older content and update project photos and videos and gifs. (I'm still trying to get the GIFs to work) Illustrations are under way to plan out certain composition or certain themes (or for fun) for the final performances. Here are some illustrations Read more →
A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

Profile photo of Ashley Lai
Ashley Lai | Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 - 08:09:21 am
Check it out:
The Stage is Not Set.

The Stage is Not Set.

Profile photo of Cheong En Liang
Cheong En Liang | Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 - 05:58:47 am
Yet The Sound is a Stage. Creating the soundscape of the installation. First off, I attempt to generate the background noise to try to give the space a sense of consciousness and tactility. Using Sampler and messing around with the loop to create a base sound. I choose a very ambient track to work as the base sample. Adding some flair, the delays Read more →
PROJECT PROGRESS PART 4

PROJECT PROGRESS PART 4

Profile photo of Ashley Lai
Ashley Lai | Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 - 05:15:00 am
I THINK I MAY HAVE COME UP WITH AN IDEA I'M HAPPY WITH (for the hundredth time!) For a while, I definitely became overly self-critical without even noticing it and I lost track of how the goal of this project is more of a proof of concept rather than a policed piece. I spent most of the last weekend working on Read more →

Comments

Add a comment

You must be logged in to comment.

1. Project Review02-24-14