I took some time to see how else I could fiddle around with Unity. Eugene Soh’s GALLERY.SG initiative was looking for beta-testers, and since it also ran on the Unity engine but had simple characters and textures loaded for an alpha level, I joined the server and started to play around. I discovered an interesting phenomenon, whereby logging in two machines to connect to the same server leaves a shell of the first user stuck in the skybox area of the map. What I realised only later after conversing with Eugene was that he couldn’t see the first avatar at all, and all he saw was me in my second avatar standing on nothing. I found this interesting and also a little funny, so I recorded myself in Eugene’s gallery.
I then decided to document unintended glitches happening while I went about my daily routine. While the main idea is to only limit my “glitching of textures” to only Facebook screenshots, documenting these glitches which occured naturally outside of where I was looking seemed to be more attractive. In any case, these would help me to be more picky about the kinds of glitch aesthetics to employ in the Unity space.
The following video below documents a glitch on Facebook, after scrolling to the bottom refused to load more posts for reasons unknown.
A glitch on YouTube which occured while uploading a gameplay video I recorded. The progress bar kept fluctuating with it’s numbers, which only served to frustrate me further as the upload seemed like it would never finish (but it did finish, eventually…)
A glitch from something I broke while using Quartz Composer. I think I plugged in something that I shouldn’t be plugging in. The weird effect continued to play in fullscreen, but the weird thing was it only showed up as a static image in the recording below.
A quick check on my Tumblr site hosting the Unity webplayer showed that everything is still in working order. As of right now, I can begin the process of updating the assets and the environments textures.
Here are some shots from the Tumblr site with added navigation text at the top.
At the moment, I am still trying to figure out if it is possible to add a page on the Tumblr site and use it to host the incoming submissions. If that doesn’t work out, I might have to link the submission to another site and link it via a hyperlink. Also, Tumblr seems to act a little funky sometimes, which explains why the “Click here to submit” hyperlink on my site is not…hyperlinked…at the moment.
For now, more testing on-going.