Flying_and_floating-4-thumb

The Subzone (Influences)

“Hole in Space”

Kit Galloway and Sherrie Rabinowitz created a “portal” in the real world through which people could see and interact with one another even if they were miles apart. It was a 3 day event which attracted many active participants and provided for an entertaining archive footage of the whole affair. For my work, I wish to consider if it is possible to tear open a portal or hole in the third space, to reveal the underbelly of the hidden structures in the virtual game world. If this first stage is possible, I would consider about the possibility of inhabiting this said space.

Jon Cates

Jon Cates creates and also archives his various experiments with glitches. It is interesting to note how he views gifs as “cultural artifacts” and that they are a form of cultural cinema for the next generation. Taking a leaf from his practice, I intend to capture my experiences traversing and discovering hidden subspaces within the third space via gifs. Screenshots would also be a backup.

Robert Overweg

This Dutch photographer archives his explorations in the virtual realm, and I found his particular series of what looks to be building parts floating in space pretty interesting. The series, entitled “Flying and Floating”, consists of screenshots of buildings and architecture within a virtual environment which are cut off in various parts. To get such an effect, the photographer (i.e. Robert) would have to move himself into a position within the virtual landscape where he straddles between the subspace (i.e. between the normal virtual world and the unknown worldspace hidden beyond). By putting himself into such a position, the game becomes “corrupt”, where renderings of the virtual surroundings start cutting off at unpredictable angles and planes start disappearing. Just a simple shift in a physical location is enough to dynamically alter the actual perception of the virtual environment. The fact that this altered perception would be unique only to the photographer (Robert in this case) and that ┬áthis perception would be dynamically different for other users, is something I wish to explore in my work.

Some examples from his “Flying and Floating” series:

Flying_and_floating-4-thumb
Hotel 2011, Robert Overweg, Mafia 2
Flying_and_floating-10-thumb
The Garage 2011, Robert Overweg, Mafia 2

3 thoughts on “The Subzone (Influences)

1. Casio PAW1100-1V Mens Pathfinder Atomic Solar Watch
    is created of steel. Even now, the Swiss manufacturing
    companies are known to become home with the most precise,
    accurate and luxurious watches from the industry. And since
    it can be powered by Tough Solar Power and features Power Saving Functions, you happen to be guaranteed that watch
    will never die on you.

2. tactic can also help you avoid weights loss plateaus.
    Studies have shown significant correlation between the
    presence of Bacteroidetes and fat loss. This is easily
    accomplished by most people, but if you’ve been drastically
    cutting calories to lose weight, you are probably
    actually working against yourself. You may lose belly fat and lose weight initially with a fixed group of vegetarian weight loss foods, but you’ll soon reach a weight loss plateau.

my homepage: Food Lovers Fat Loss Program

3. To help ease the task of a chef, a lot of companies realize that they need to make a different appliances types.
    The Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker is equipped with a
    timer of up to 13 hours so you can set it to bake bread in time for breakfast or dinner.

Best thing about bread maker is that we get fresh breads out of it and as long as the bread is baking we keep waiting for it in anticipation.