003_mm_stelarc

Stelarc-the cyborgian visionary

Stelarc and his cyborg hand writing the word “evolution”

It’s been a few weeks since the class went for the talk by Stellar. Stelarc has been a inspiration for me due to his passionate art of exploring the limitations and capabilities of the human body. His work is a fusion of his body and machines that assist his body in carrying out different tasks e.g. walking etc.

Stelarc is a living example of an experimentation of technology into oneself like a wearable technology. He did a surgery where he even input a cast of his ear into his forearm which had bluetooth capabilities. He tried walking on a giant machine resembling a spider leg. He even went lengths to pierce his whole body and suspend it in mid air. He is embracing technology as a second body. Unafraid of these foreign machineries. Could it be that he sees the future of possibilities with technology?

I do adore his intense research in the field of technology and the human body. Bionic man in the making!

Bionic man possible?

here is the photo we took with Stelarc!

67894_10152282337075955_1814757792_n

2 thoughts on “Stelarc-the cyborgian visionary

1. So do I adore him! His enthusiasm about interface sex was emancipating when he talked about interest in his third ear could be extended to the rest of his body. I really like the physical manifestation of his idea on embodiment life-binding contract that is abandoning the “sack of skin” and “squishy organs”. Such well-endowed human-machine, groundbreaking forbidden love for prosthetics!

2. There’s this video I watched a few years ago, titled The Eyeborg Documentary; It had a film maker that had a prosthetic camera eye, and detailed his journey to interview others who have had their body parts replaced with robotics. It makes us wonder about the possibilities – Right now we may be able to replace lost limbs, but in the future, it may come to a point where these replacements become augmentations; To be able to move faster, and become stronger. Then comes a time when we would ask or selves, if we would willingly give up our bodies, for such enhancements; Plastic surgery has become a recognized practice – will human augmentation be next in line?

(Incidentally I came across the vid because of this video game. It was a joint research with the game’s developers; Here’s a fake trailer they made to promote the game.)