Monthly Archives: March 2014

Flower-Power_Bus

Project Update #2 – PSYCHEDELIC FRENZIED MIND OF UNCERTAINTY

For the project to kick off, I will definitely need an individualized page for the audience to refer to the contents of my project.

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 12.43.56 AM

Hence, after consulting Randall, I created a separate page for this project in WordPress and still in progress to include several additional links for clearer separation of my project elements eg project inspirations etc.

I realize that this psychedelic idea comes from my subconscious obsession with the 1960s era of freedom and so I researched more on this era.

COUNTERCULTURE

(excerpt from wikipedia) ” In the second half of the decade, young people began to revolt against the conservative norms of the time, as well as remove themselves from mainstream liberalism, in particular the high level of materialism which was so common during the era. This created a “counterculture” that sparked a social revolution throughout much of the Western world. It began in the United States as a reaction against the conservatism and social conformity of the 1950s, and the US government’s extensive military intervention in Vietnam. The youth involved in the popular social aspects of the movement became known as hippies. These groups created a movement toward liberation in society, including the sexual revolution, questioning authority and government, and demanding more freedoms and rights for women and minorities. The Underground Press, a widespread, eclectic collection of newspapers served as a unifying medium for the counterculture. The movement was also marked by the first widespread, socially accepted drug use (including LSD and marijuana) and psychedelic music.”

No I’m not high on drugs but I find the colors and vibe of the 1960s relatable to what I imagine in my final video. Full of randomness. Defying structure. eccentric. This gives an idea for my page layout, reflecting my project theme of the 1960s vibe. Gifs of weird and funny  combined with distracting colors and full of rawness. 

Hoping to get submissions to start soon!

ecology-quadrasphere-490-no-curve_110013_1

#4 Project Hyperessay- Technical Realization

Using filters in photobooth to create an impression of what audience feel about the song. I will create a collage of these videos to form a larger piece.

Instructions to participants:

1. Listen to this music from this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL1ffMlzKY

2. Choose a filter from Mac Photobooth to what you feel about the music.

3. Play the music again and start Grooving/create funky faces/shapes with the filter.

4. Send the video to nashdin@hotmail.com through wetransfer.com or direct email.

Final outcome:

I will compose a final video from the various video submissions with further manipulations of these individual videos to form a larger psychedelic piece.

-there will also be individual profiles on a webpage for the people involved in the compositional piece.

surv-surv

ART & LIFE – Hasan Elahi (Tracking Transience 2.0)

Hasan Elahi at Ted

In digital era, privacy must be a priority. Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely outrageous? 

Al Gore

Who would imagine paranoia and fear of not having enough information could spark off an art. This is true for the case of Hasan Elahi, a New York raised artist cum an educator at Rutgers University, who was mistaken for a terrorist by the U.S government during the wake of 9/11.

He was firstly interrogated at the airport on his return trip from Europe and to prove his whereabouts he showed his PDA with his detailed class schedule etc to pacify them. However, he was called back again for more interviews and a lie detector test. The suspicion of the wake of 9/11, resulted in a gush of investigation on profiles of possible terrorist and without having sufficient information, the FBI resorted to such unreasonable options. This resorted in Hasan retaliating such ridiculous background checks that he decided to create Tracking Transience 2.0.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 10.57.52 PM

Hasan merged art and life when he first installed a GPS tracking device to his cellphone and he will update his location from his phone which will be recorded in his computer. He then created a website  http://www.trackingtransience.net for viewers to document where is his whereabouts with evidence of photos of the places he was at ,what he was eating, what he was doing etc.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 11.58.54 PM Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 12.03.03 AMScreen Shot 2014-03-18 at 12.42.18 AM

THE ART OF SURVEILLANCE

His life is being watched over by everybody including the FBI. By allowing the public to access his information /data publicly, he redefined surveillance as an act of willingness on the targeted party(himself). It is his deliberate act of he can do a better surveillance compared to the FBI by giving his geographical location at the point of time and his timestamp on the photos he took at that moment. His art is his over excessive documentation of his whereabouts about his life and what he does to the point  audience may find it not as interesting when someone hides a side of his life? Over excessive narcissism comparable to instagram,twitter or other social media? I think its his art of irritating people with redundant things like the toilet he went etc to the point people will tend to forget or ignore his daily activity. That is his art. Including his life into his art, he created a reassurance to the public especially the FBI that his life is as banal as it can be and there is nothing to fear.

Data as an art form diminishes privacy in Hasan’s works and questions our consumption of database and how it may intrude people’s way of life but to Hasan he embraces such public exposure to his life. He is giving the audience what they want and not hiding his life and information about himself.  Putting all these information out there, he is telling the audience most of his life yet there is still bits of anonymity in his life,knowing very little about him.  An archival of data giving access of information to everyone,sharing everything devaluing private information. He is also able to access the logs of people viewing his information data from his website. So who is surveilling who now?

Here is a video of his experience: FBI-here I am

You can check out more about Hasan’s creative process and documentation from Prakash posts.(updating soon)

Foto den 11-04-2011 kl. 11.03

Project Updates #1 – Development

I did a sample video about the outcome of what i imagined the final video will be like.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJfpOVs5P0&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

The breakdown of the experimentation:

Using after effects, i generated an audio waveform with reference to the music track of “Tomorrow Never Knows” by John Lennon and performed by the Beatles. Using these waveforms i created a series of psychedelic patterns through compositing,layering, multiplying etc. I changed the thickness and color scheme of each audio waveform from the same audio.

Developing on this idea, I would like to include an element of Apples Mac “Photobooth” where users will submit photo booth videos of them performing certain tasks e.g. raising hands etc while watching the psychedelic visuals. In turn, i will collage these photo booth videos in my own psychedelic compilation.

Examples of actions to be done:

1)Play the psychedelic video (made by me).

2)Choose a suitable filter in photo booth of your choice.

3) Show a thumbs up before you start.

4) Start Grooving/have fun for  1-2  min. (moving your body to the beat of the music/filter)