Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 3.27.58 am

Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

Conclusion: synthesizing the elements of your project, how does the project bridge your artistic practice with OSS concepts and ideas? What were some of the key ideas about net-based artistic work that were new to your experience of working with new media? What issues were exposed through your project that allowed you to critically examine them? And finally, how did your project evolve as a result of your research into the Internet as a medium for artistic production?

When I was writing my Introduction to the hyperessay, I was completely clueless as to what I want to do because all these concepts about post-humanism, internet culture, and so on were very new to me, so I never would have envisioned my final project to evolve into something that I have at the moment.

It’s a definite that I will involve sound in my project, but I never quite pictured it involving the web culture. Somehow through the course of the semester, it had managed to evolve into one that is very net-based, and very open-source—the idea of breaking down all the copyright boundaries and just having the audience take and submit things as well as the open-source content on the internet like tutorials that helped me to realise my Ableton & VDMX audiovisual work.

I think I encountered and assimilated quite a few qualities about ‘net art’ such as completely ignoring the concept of intellectual property since protection of content on the internet is pretty much…non-existent or ignored, 24/7 ongoing audience participation, cross-platform usage meaning that I am utilising various sites as infrastructure for my work (Vimeo for videos, Soundcloud for Sounds, Tumblr for the main collation), and in particular I’m gif-ing a lot of stuff, which is in my opinion the one thing that really cements my project’s relation with the internet because gifs are the product of the computer and internet art.

One particular aspect that has been difficult to realise since it is not within my control is audience participation. Although I’ve laid out a foundation and gave instructions on how to take part, it occurred to me that there was a lot more ground I needed to cover and that there were perhaps too many routes that the audience could take, so this complicated participation aspect was not effective. So this experience did make me understand how much hard work and beta-testing are required to gather support and promote a guerrilla idea; it is definitely not one that can be done or achieve overwhelming responses in just a few weeks.

Another aspect that I have come to realise is that once I’d opened my project out for submissions, I kind of lost control over it. In fact, it feels as though my audience are controlling me because they are sending in submissions for me to remix rather than remixing the content, and I am quite amused by that. I guess that is one of the qualities of net-based work—”the bi-directional nature of control”.

Lastly, as Randall had mentioned about jonCates reblogging my video, the hierarchy between people is flattened on the web, that it does not quite matter if one is an established artist or just a beginner at the craft.

It’s so surreal that the semester has come to an end, I think it’s a bittersweet situation because I had a lot of fun experimenting and exploring the different ideas and software that I had always wanted to learn. The meetings in the third space as well as everyone’s individual project were very enjoyable too.

One thought on “Project Hyperessay: Conclusion

1. Profile photo of Randall PackerRandall Packer

Excellent summary of your project and great to see how you gradually evolved into using the network as a medium for your artistic practice. You are correct in your assessment that the role and interaction of the viewer is the hardest to predict, and the most difficult to control. This comes with experience, the ability to shape your work in such a way that the viewer responds in ways that are interesting and provocative. But your evaluation is exactly right: most often the user interaction can’t be predicted. As a result, it is best to be open and flexible and to learn from the user response. That is what makes interactive art so interesting!

Reply