Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 7.32.43 pm

Virtual Text – Conclusion

I have really come a long way in exposing myself to the online chat world.

let’s record some of the events that happened.

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.58.27 pm

it all comes off with an idea of misinterpretation of words through messaging and also the power of quotes. Then I came around looking at some artworks that involves virtual texts, eg. megaphone, which sparks me off with the idea of real expression and virtual words typed out.

I went and do some experiment on social network, leaving off some quotes and found out that in the social network, where it is so publicly expose, people rather private message me for more serious topics about why did i post such a serious or emotional quotes. The comment box however are light causal talks.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 4.41.00 PMScreen Shot 2014-03-11 at 4.40.03 PM

and is by being introduced to the idea of flaming, i did some test too using a fake account. I still remembers how hard it is for me to flame. And it indeed provokes me further to question about people who spend time flaming people in front of the internet. How does this satisfy them?

As you can see, my work, without know has evolve into something that really question about public and private space and about the social problem of cyber bully.

I came to the idea of really chatting with strangers i have never met before, through virtual text. And the only way I could do that, is through online chatroom. Being introduced to Chatroulette and Omegle, really challenged my boundaries of getting real comfortable with strangers from the start, talking about real private stuff. Frankly, it really scares me. But I want to see my reaction to their text vs. the way i provoke them in a positive or negative way.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 3.48.17 pm

my first time chatting online makes me feel really uncomfortable. and i was just really being myself. So when they asked about my identity and they pushes me to show my face, I just feel extremely stress. Then i realise no words i said could provoke them. When i try to put quotes, they left the conversation. When i tried to spam them with vulgarities, they left too without fighting back. I was many time, speechless and lost.

Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 7.37.46 pmMy second time, i tried by asking them questions about why they uses this platform? why they do not want to meet real friends? But most of them do not go deeper into the topic and goes on about my body, my face, sex and more sex.

And so I went back i reflected. I realise I couldn’t provoke them in any ways but to sexualise myself. Diana did somewhat a demo in front of me, and I was really impress. And I went back to do more test. And the results were splendid.Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.23.33 am Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.23.39 am Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.23.44 am Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.23.48 am Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.23.54 amThis is just one of the chat i screenshot. Is sad because I actually forget to screen captured this.

My conclusion for my project?

Online virtual world really did blur the line between public and private to the fact that people ask really “personal” question about you. But the degree of personal is different. It is sexual. You still will never know who and what they are. You will never understand their thoughts. And they could just be like me, provoking reactions. Several times, when I asked them about their personal facebook account they will back off. Cause maybe they are real careful too. The responsibility of letting someone know who you are when you are doing socially incorrect things are perhaps too heavy. My initial motive of hoping to motivate people somewhat through quotes or in fact inspired them is really hard. The wall build up by them is strong. Perhaps, people really do not want someone to chat when they are there. Or private heart to heart conversations with strangers are still ┬áprivate somehow. Like I mentioned in the previous chat, the virtual world seems real to them, to the degree they can get turned on just by chatting, or maybe is just like reading any other storybooks which describe the sex process, their imagination and role playing inside their mind is what make it seems real. Yet to a very large extent they knew it is not real, for, true-friends-with-heartfelt-conversations-never-existed as they knew this stranger will be gone once the stopped button is pressed.

One thought on “Virtual Text – Conclusion

1. Profile photo of Randall PackerRandall Packer

Your conclusion is so interesting. It occurs to me that the speed and velocity of these chance encounters is really not at all conducive to meaningful conversation, let alone intimacy. It seems rather “hit and run,” in which people for a fleeting instant check each other out and then move on to the next encounter. From your interactions, as seems as though no one really has time for understanding the other person, or even getting to know them, rather, it is the brief moment of the encounter that stimulates one’s interest, and then on to the next person. The question is: what does this say about our everyday online interactions? Do we treat even our friends with the same degree of impatience? Are we moving to quickly to have meaningful conversation with the people who are closest to us? This may be the hazardous aspect of online communication, the inability to slow down and really get to know people. This is a highly probing work you have created.

Reply