INFLUENCES – VIRTUAL WORDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfES57VS4eI#t=31

“Through current technologies and the widespread use of social media, real-life public speaking has become a bit of a lost art. People used to congregate in city squares in order to share their opinions and to debate. Instead, they now use social media. With that in mind, Montreal multimedia firm Moment Factory designed a new art installation called Megaphone, located in Downtown Montreal through November 4th, that mixes both old school public speaking and modern technologies.

With Megaphone, people are invited to share their ideas and opinions into a voice amplifier. Their words may relate to any subject but thoughts regarding the current status of the city of Montreal are encouraged. The twist: using a voice-recognition system, the words spoken into the megaphone are immediately projected onto a giant wall. As speakers keep talking, their words are integrated into the video installation, which lays out the sentences over historic public speaking footage, using a modern aesthetic that could be likened to website headlines and keyword widgets. In this manner, Megaphone becomes a sort of hybrid between the written word used on social media and the face to face reactions that happen only when the sharing of ideas happens in front of a live audience.”

Source

This project is especially interesting as it talks about how public speech has been transformed into texts on social media. People no longer speak out but hide behind the screen and leave their opinions structured and nicely typed out. This installation makes me think deeper about my project like how virtual text actually kind of also replaces our voice? Which is very much similar to the debate about how texting make us less able to communicate in real life.

I also love to observe how people like quotes and reblog it over and over again on their social media platform such as tumblr, twitter, instagram, facebook, etc. The main thing about quotes are that it gives a false image of positive and inspiring messages when we first heard about it. Yet, positiveness is only a sub category. Sarcasm quotes often brings a great laugh to people. Depressing ones often speaks about the reality that people need to accept. Quotes are just something that really get to people and touches people? Those words that form meanings and images sometimes recharges our energy and is some ways perhaps, for us to express ourselves. It is also interesting to look at how people respond to it.

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 6.05.32 pmSouce: weheartit.com

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 5.58.05 pmthose who liked this probably agree with it like me.

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 7.08.41 pmFAT AMY / Is like twitter have really funny people retweeting funny stuffs.

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 7.21.45 pmHAHAHAHAH!

Thinking about how people got stuck in the virtual world daily for hours, mostly reading quotes and words, commenting, reposting. We really can’t underestimate the potential of virtual texts that influence our life.

I am still thinking about what performance am I going to present at the end of this course. But thinking about the things I am exploring, it is sure exciting :)