stelarc

Stellar: A quick reflection on Stelarc

It’s been more than 24 hours since listening to Stelarc speak about his work and I am still trying to process it all. There was just so much information packed into 2 hours that it will probably take me a few more days to process it all.¬†Above all, what I remember the most is how great of a speaker he was. When we got a chance to talk to him after the lecture, he ¬†said how he thought his art spoke for him. While I definitely agree with that statement, he was a fantastic public speaker which I find impressive because there are many instances where artists have trouble articulating or explaining their work in social situations. There was a question/answer period at the end, where he tackled every question (even the ones about religion) PERFECTLY while being careful not to offend anyone. His answer to the last question left the biggest impression on me: he said how artists should not try to replicate or take inspiration from others before them, but to try new things and look towards the future.

(I’ll probably add more when I spend more time reflecting on the things that he talked about!)